The Internet Advertising Bureau defines the term click in several different ways:
- a metric that measures the reaction of a user to an online advertisement (types of clicks include clickthroughs, in-unit clicks, and mouseovers)
- the opportunity for a user to download another file by clicking on an advertisement, as recorded by the server
- the result of a measurable interaction with an advertisement or key word that links to the advertiser’s intended website or another page or frame within the website
- a metric that measures the reaction of a user to linked editorial content
- ^ IAB, Glossary of Interactive Advertising Terms v. 2.0. (April 2014).